In 1890, Congress enacted the Second Morrill Act that mandated “a separate college for the colored race.” The Agricultural and Mechanical College for the Colored Race (now North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University) was established as that school in the state of North Carolina by an act of the General Assembly ratified on March 9, 1891. Originally operating in Raleigh as an annex to Shaw University, the college made a permanent home in Greensboro with the help of local citizens such as DeWitt Clinton Benbow and Charles H. Moore.
In 1915, state legislators changed the college’s name to the Agricultural and Technical College of North Carolina; and in 1967, they elevated it to university status. N.C. A&T became a constituent university of the University of North Carolina in 1972.
N.C. A&T is one of America’s most highly respected, doctoral high research land-grant universities. The university’s learner-centered community develops and preserves intellectual capital through interdisciplinary learning, discovery, and community engagement. Honoring a great history as an institution that produces change agents and global leaders for the careers of today and tomorrow in disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), agriculture, business, the arts and humanities.
Blue & Gold
Aggie & Aggietha